Sunday, January 30, 2011

Life is a Mighty River Dammed Against Stone

I rush life at a homicidal pace.

This last month I had styled myself around the phrase "almost there." Almost 21. Almost done with college. Almost a science teacher. I lived under action verbs. For the first time since midterms of last semester, however, I spent the weekend at home studying and little more. Granted it was not by my own initiative as I had plans to spend Friday night with some friends at the Holy Grail Pub in Plano, but once that schedule was foiled by illness I decided that I needed to catch up on Calculus 3 and Statistical Physics assignments lest I suffer from bewilderment in class for the next two weeks.

Somewhere between the closing hours of Friday night and Saturday morning I thought about how I tend to overlook the present, the now. I'm a future-oriented person and will in all likelihood remain such, but I think I can do better about appreciating ongoing circumstances.

I've been on this path to self-awareness for sometime now by rebuilding a large network of friends, but I'll try to drive it forward. I've actually scheduled some great dates over the next few weeks over activities like wine tasting, book club meetings, dining in Dallas, and even archery training [lol].

No comments: