Friday, December 24, 2010

a moment to reflect {Holidays}

The holidays are (for me) a time to reflect on the past year and claw out some meaningful interpretations that can be applied to the future ahead. I don't celebrate the birth of messiahs, continental pride, fertile winters, or temple dedications. If any of the aforementioned rituals truly suits your needs, please reap what you want. I once would spend each winter surrounded by an alarmed "hum-bug" aura, but I'm a different person now who prides himself on being uncertain on matters that relate to the unfathomable imagination. The holidays are a personal and family affair, that I understand; "permissum is exsisto."

What I'm about to iterate is a bit anti-climatic, but it suffices: this past year has really helped me understand what it means to be a good person. In the process of acquiring so many new friends and exploring outlets that I once would have left unturned, I have come to love myself as a person and not as "part" of something, whether that be a school, relationship, fellowship, or clique, through the realm of trial and error. No year prior to this one has opened up my eyes to the "real world" while allowing me to march forward with the full weight of confidence on my shoulders. It's moments like sitting in the rear seat of a car with Josh and JoJo while Muse pumps through the radio system or having Caitlin M. cry on my shoulder after an all-too-familiar breakup scenario or picking Connie off the kitchen floor after a diabetic shock or taking Jeff and Chazz to Golden Chick (all of us pained with intolerable headaches) or so many other countless moments that erase my misanthropic routes. To be told by so many people that you're a "fucking great person" whose only real flaw is that "you apologize too much" really makes one introspective. I'm so very, very glad I can be there for people. It's all very ironic considering by loving myself more and really relearning everything there is, I feel much more in love with people around me.

So what am I getting at? Basically, I've learned the following:
- Don't discount the value of friendship. Ever.
- Think hard about ethical principles and stand by them.
- "Love thyself."
- Don't let lust spoil possible friendships with people of the opposite sex.
- Sugar and alcohol don't mix well in large quantities, heh.

No comments: